Thursday 12 January 2012

Configuring Management Reporter to be used on different Domain

I usually heard that Management Reporter can only be run on domain on which it has been installed, but fortunately I came across a case where one of my client changed the domain where MR Server was installed (Server where it was first installed).

With detail investigation I came to know ' If there is will so there is a way :)' Following is the method to re-configure MR Settings in order to run MR on different domain.

1. Re-Configure Managment Reporter Service (Run > Services.msc > Change the logon as per new domain user)

2. Re-Configure Management Reporter Application Pool (IIS > Management Reporter Application Pool > Advanced Settings > Change the ID for Login as per new domain )

3. Re-Configure Management Reporter Site Security (IIS > Management Reporter Websites > Advanced Settings > Change the ID for Login as per new domain )

4. Now if you run Management Reporter, you shall see that you are unable to login to MR because you are not authorized to login (You username is not authorized to login to MR ) --> Something like that not sure

5. Run SQL Profiler

6. Re-Try to login and see the entries made by MR to SQL Profiler

7. You should see the long SID Key --> something like S-1-5-21-1024493168-1997020141-3530977040-1000

8. Key is not that difficult to find as SQL Makes 6 to 7 entries and easily visible at the end of the Query

9. Now we are required to update Management Reporter Database

8. Login to SQL Server with SA Credentials

9. Select Management Reporter Database

10. Now we are required to update tables that is : SecurityUser &  SecurityPrincipal

11. Update user name and SID Fields in Security Principal & SecurityUser as per new user of domain

12. You shall now be able to run MR

13. Goto Security are re-configure other users

I guess that would be helpful for others :)

Thanks alot





3 comments:

  1. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Take a look at my weblog ... Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete